Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blog Post #5

          Many of you may have gotten the news of this recent email sent to all western students. A lot of burglaries have been reported recently, most were near but not limited to the downtown La Crosse area. They say the items stolen were commonly Tv's, game systems, computers and other high price electronics. It stated that the culprit most likely knew which houses were unsecured and even where most of the items were located in the apartments/houses. This was likely learned at parties in these houses and from friends.
          I've read some things on the LaCrosseTribune.com and I've found this to just be one of many instances in just the fast few months. Some were small scale burglaries, some were at a wider scale like this one. One man was even shot and killed in his home during an armed robbery. My Uncle who I'm living with said he used to drive school bus and drove the person who perpetrated this crime to school every morning.
        I recently moved here from Sparta and it surprises me how common these things are, not that long ago a girl shot up her boyfriends house before killing herself at he own home. I suppose it has to do with this being a larger city. Not long ago a few friends and  I were stumbling our way back to one of their homes after midnight and we were followed by two stranger's from main street to market street. We were able to loose them in an alley that they followed us into and headed home.
       I'm not sure what to make of this, bigger cities are less safe maybe? La Crosse isn't neccessarily a huge city although its much larger than my home town. I don't know what to make of it.  Compared to the US as a whole I suppose we might be better than average.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-La-Crosse-Wisconsin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment